Legislation sponsored by Senators Declan O’Scanlon and Kristin Corrado requiring school districts to incorporate age-appropriate instruction on menstrual toxic shock syndrome (mTSS) was approved today by the Senate Education Committee.
Legislation sponsored by Sens. Declan O’Scanlon and Kristin Corrado requiring school districts to incorporate age-appropriate instruction on mTSS was approved today by the Senate Education Committee. (Pixabay)
“Toxic shock syndrome is a serious, potentially fatal, infection that can spread rapidly. This legislation was inspired by one of my residents, Madalyn Massabni, who we lost far too young due to mTSS. The bill will raise awareness for this rarely talked about, but nonetheless, serious condition by incorporating basic knowledge of mTSS into our school curriculum,” said Senator O’Scanlon (R-13). “By doing this, students can learn about ways to prevent toxic shock and how to spot the signs and symptoms if the infection has already started.”
The legislation, S-636, requires school districts to incorporate age-appropriate instruction in grades four through twelve on menstrual toxic shock syndrome and requires installation of signage in certain women’s rooms to enhance public awareness. Anyone can contract toxic shock syndrome, but women using tampons and similar devices are more susceptible to menstrual toxic shock. The signage in restrooms would alert women to the warning signs, causes, and dangers of mTSS.
Early symptoms may include a low fever, muscle aches, fatigue, and headaches. As the infection progresses, symptoms may include a high fever, redness of the eyes, lips and tongue, low blood pressure, and mental confusion. Toxic shock syndrome is generally treated with antibiotics.
“The Legislature has a responsibility to safeguard every human life,” added Senator Corrado (R-40). “This bill will allow New Jersey to take a more proactive approach in combating toxic shock, which will ultimately help save lives. Most cases of TSS are preventable if people can recognize the signs and symptoms early. This legislation will help provide as much outreach and education on the topic as possible.”
Madalyn “Maddy” Massabni, tragically passed away on March 30, 2017 just days after contracting Toxic Shock Syndrome. Maddy was a 2016 graduate of Rumson-Fair Haven Regional High School and was just beginning her academic career at Lynn University in Florida. Her family continues her legacy by passionately fighting to save as many lives as possible from TSS.