The legislators from the 10th District are alerting residents of the growing number of used personal protection equipment (PPE) littering parking lots and sidewalks and are asking residents to dispose of these items safely and properly. Senator Jim Holzapfel and Assemblymen Greg McGuckin and John Catalano understand the importance of PPE against the coronavirus, however, they are warning residents that littering still carries a fine for those who are carelessly discarding these items once they have been used.
Senator Holzapfel and Assemblymen McGuckin and Catalano are urging people to properly dispose of single-use protective gloves and reminding them not to litter. (CDC)
“It has been brought to our attention that soiled gloves, masks and wipes are being left behind in parking lots of supermarkets and big-box retailers,” stated Senator Holzapfel. “It is disappointing to see so many people discarding their gloves onto the ground and driving off. This is a finable offense and this problem needs to be addressed now for the safety of our residents.”
Those who are not disposing of these products once they are used are creating an unnecessary risk of exposure for those tasked with cleaning up the litter. The guidelines for use of PPE indicate that these items are “single-use only” and should be promptly disposed into a proper waste bin.
“The littering of PPE can and will further the spread of this deadly virus,” said Assemblyman McGuckin. “Children and pets could also be at risk if they come in contact with a piece of PPE that wasn’t properly discarded. Additionally, any of these items can easily be washed into our sewer systems and flushed out into our waterways and ocean.”
The CDC recommends the best way to prevent contamination is to regularly and thoroughly wash hands. Wearing gloves and masks when out in public places and retail stores is also recommended, however, residents must take responsibility for their own proper disposal of these items.
“Think of the consequences that littering will have on the environment and the health of our community. This careless behavior needs to stop and it starts with the individual taking personal responsibility,” concluded Assemblyman Catalano.
Related Facebook Post: