Senator Jennifer Beck
Senator Jennifer Beck (R-Monmouth) issued the following statement regarding the unanimous passage of Senate Bill 380 by the Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee. S-380 imposes a mandatory term of 25 years to life for aggravated sexual assault against a child under the age of 13. Beck said:
“I can’t think of anything more horrific than the sexual assault of a child. We must do everything we can to protect our children and keep them safe from violent predators.
“This bill is similar to Florida’s ‘Jessica Lunsford Act.’ Jessica was a nine-year-old Florida resident who was kidnapped, raped, and murdered by a registered sex offender. The Florida law imposed a mandatory term of imprisonment of 25 years for sex crimes against children.
“This bill is a message to all would-be offenders that New Jersey will not tolerate these crimes and we will punish you to the furthest extent of the law. I am proud to co-sponsor this bill and I look forward to voting in favor of it when it comes before the entire Senate.”
The bill now advances to the full Senate for consideration.
- Connors, Rumpf & Gove Hail Action on Jessica Lunsford Act
- Connors, Rumpf & Gove Commend Committee for Advancing Jessica Lunsford Act
- Senate Passes Connors-Rumpf-Gove Supported Jessica Lunsford Act
- Allen, Kean, & Oroho Sponsored “Jessica Lunsford Act” Clears Committee
- Kean & Oroho’s “Jessica Lunsford Act” Clears Another Committee